From late November to early January, Napa and Sonoma Valleys close out each year on a high note featuring a wide range of seasonal celebrations, gala events, and a hearty welcome to the New Year.
December is a magical time in Sonoma and Napa Valley. The communities and businesses are decked out with loads of holiday decorations. Many offer special live performances, gala events, Santa appearances galore, and a host of private wine tours of Napa Valley and Sonoma wineries.
What’s Happening in the Vineyards and Wineries During the Holiday Season?
The growing season and the harvest are once again complete. From the early spring flowering and bud break through the careful nonstop management of the developing grape clusters and the veraison and ripening stage, the harvest began in some locations as early as late July. The grape picking lasted into late October and early November for those rich, red grapes for the nation’s most popular varietal, Cabernet Sauvignon.
At the wineries, the selection, crush, separation, and fermentation have kicked off the complex process of making world-class wines for customers to enjoy has begun. The winemaker’s process demands continual adjustment and evaluation to achieve its objectives.
Celebrating the Holidays
While the harvest season is occurring and the grapes are moving to wineries, harvest celebrations begin around both Napa Valley and Sonoma County wineries. The communities, businesses, and wineries present a myriad of festivals and parties to celebrate another great year in the vineyards.
But, by late November, all eyes, minds, and efforts focus on the coming holiday season, a celebration of Christmas, Hanukkah, and the coming New Year. Each community has planned and executed hundreds of activities for families to enjoy the sights and sounds of the season.
Napa Valley Holiday Events
- Napa Christmas Parade, December 10, Downtown Napa
- Breakfast with Santa, Silverado Resort, Saturdays until December 18
- Holiday Dinner at Frank Family Vineyards, December 10
- Holiday Food and Wine Pairing at ZD Wines, December 10
- Holiday Open House at Calistoga Depot, December 17
- Community Ornament Making in St. Helena’s Main Street, December 17
- Hannukah Blessing and Reception at Silverado Resort, December 18
- Winter Faire at Culinary Institute at Greystone, December 18
- Christmas Dinner at Boon Fly Café, December 24 & 25
- Christmas Dinner at Farm at Carneros, December 24 & 25
- Annual Christmas Buffet at Silverado Resort, December 25
- New Year’s Eve Celebration at Meritage Resort, December 31
Sonoma Wine Country Holiday Events
- Holiday Lights, Historic Sonoma Plaza
- Holiday Market, Happy Dahlia Farm, Petaluma, December 10
- Winter Lights Skating on the Square, Santa Rosa, Dec. 10,17,18,24
- Holiday Craft Fest, Art Escape, Sonoma, December 11
- Sterling Limousines Holiday Light Tour, Sonoma County, Dec 5-22
- 80s Holiday Dance Tour, Flamingo Resort, Santa Rosa, December 16
- Kids’ Night at the Museum, Ch, Schulz Museum, Santa Rosa, Dec 17
- Holiday Card Making, Sonoma Community Center, December 17
- Christmas/ Hannukah Cookie Decorating, Sonoma Center, Dec 17
- Marché de Noёl, Old Courthouse Square, Santa Rosa, Dec 17 & 18
- Christmas with Santa, Little Vineyards Family Winery, December 18
- Coffee Park Christmas Parade, Santa Rosa, December 18
Although this represents only the “short list” of activities available in Napa and Sonoma Valley, there is something for everyone.
Enjoy a Safe, Comfortable, and Educational Winery Tour
During a weekend or week-long holiday season visit to California’s two most famous wine regions, scheduling a well-curated winery tour with a top tour company is essential. With Platypus Wine Tours, guests can choose join-in or private custom tours to selected classic boutique wineries in Napa or Sonoma Valleys.
A professional wine tour offers many advantages. First, each outing is accompanied by an experienced host who offers insights into the local environment, vineyards, and even the winemaking processes.
Secondly, private tours can be with the Tour staff, ensuring you experience the places and wineries of your choosing.
Lastly, a Platypus Wine Tour is safe. Traveling from place to place in a modern, comfortable bus driven by an experienced professional driver allows all participants to enjoy the tour and wine tastings without worrying about driving from place to place. And the experience will be far more educational than if you choose to “solo.”
Private winery tours may also be customized for larger groups of family members, friends, and co-workers.
Book Your New Year’s Wine Tour and Outing with Platypus Today
To create a truly memorable and exciting New Years’ experience, reserve your place on a Platypus Wine Tour today. Leave the planning and driving to others while you and your party experience a customized, exciting New Years Eve outing.
The Beat Goes On: Book Your Platypus Wine Tour
While the Holiday season pace tends to slow down a bit after the New Year dawns, Wine Country escape options continue. Sonoma and Napa Valley wine tours are always available to educate and entertain, while hot air balloon rides, world-class dining, art galleries, hiking, and more.
Sign up for a join-in or private Holiday Wine Country Tour with Platypus Wine Tours for a safe and fascinating tour through Wine Country California to Napa and Sonoma Valleys. Guests will ride safely and comfortably in a modern, well-equipped van to select Napa Valley or Sonoma wineries. Enjoy the scenery and expert commentary as you and your partner or group travel from place to place.
Learn about wines and the art of winemaking as you visit some premier boutique wineries along the way. Enjoy the conversation, food, and, of course, the world-class wines.
Visit Platypus Wine Tours website to learn more about their world-class Napa Valley and Sonoma wine tours and to make your reservations.
If you have questions or wish to book a private, customized tour of Napa and Sonoma wineries, phone (707)-253-2723.