December Recipe Feature: Meyer Lemon Bars with a Wine Country Twist
Once again, the culinary crew at Platypus Wine Tours in Napa is sharing a magical recipe that offers an alternative to your regular cuisine. These Meyer Lemon Bars are great as a dessert or to be eaten as is.
Here’s how we make these delicious bars:
For the Crust
- 1 Cup All-purpose Flour
- ¼ Cup of Powdered Sugar
- ½ Cup Unsalted Butter, cold and cubed
Meyer Lemon Filling
- ¾ Cup of Granulated Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons of All-purpose Flour
- 3 Large Eggs
- ½ Cup Fresh Meyer Lemon Juice (about 3-4 Lemons)
- 1 Tablespoon Meyer Lemon Zest
- 2 Tablespoons Dry White Wine (like California Chardonnay)
- ½ Teaspoon of Dried Culinary Lavender Flowers (optional)
- Powdered Sugar for Dusting
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175 °C).
- Line an 8-inch baking pan with parchment paper. Let it overhang on two opposite sides for easy removal.
- Prepare the crust in a mixing bowl, combining the flour and powdered sugar.
- Add the cold, cubed butter and use a pastry cutter (or your fingers) to work the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Press the mixture evenly into the bottom of the prepared baking pan.
- Bake the crust for 20 minutes in a preheated oven or until lightly golden.
- Prepare the lemon Filling. While the crust is baking, whisk together the granulated sugar and flour.
- Beat the eggs until well combined in a separate bowl.
- Add the sugar-flour mixture to the beaten eggs and whisk until smooth.
- Stir in the fresh Meyer lemon juice, Meyer lemon zest, dry white wine, and dried lavender flowers. The wine and lavender will add that wine-country twist.
- Bake the Bars, pouring the lemon filling over the hot crust.
- Return the pan to the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the filling has set and the edges are lightly golden.
- Allow the bars to cool in a pan on a wire rack for about 1 hour.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours to set completely.
- Lift the parchment paper to remove the bars from the pan.
- Cut into squares or bars and dust the tops with powdered sugar for extra sweetness.
- Serve with a glass of your favorite California white wine.
These Meyer Lemon Bars are perfect with a glass of California white wine and are a delightful blend of sweet and tangy with a subtle country influence.
Make Your Platypus Wine Tour Reservations
Platypus is the premier wine country tour company in Napa Valley. Travel safely in one of the company’s modern vans, sit back, marvel at the scenery, and enjoy visiting and tasting at three unique boutique wineries in the region.
Visit the Platypus Wine Tours website to learn more about the group and make reservations for a future join-in or personal tour of Napa or Sonoma Counties.
You may also talk with one of the professionals directly by phoning 707-253-2723.