As the colors of the leaves begin to change to warm oranges and reds, our appetites gravitate to comfort foods. This month, try our Homemade Roasted Acorn Squash with coconut, pecans and apricot jam to get you in the mood for fall. While you’re preparing your dish, think about other ways to get into the fall mood. Perhaps a harvest season wine country trip through North Sonoma – beautiful Healdsburg wineries, Alexander Valley wineries and Russian River wineries await you among the wooded forests of this region. But enough daydreaming for now – let’s start cooking!
TOTAL TIME: 1 hr 30 min (ACTIVE: 15 min)
GATHER THESE INGREDIENTS
- 2 acorn squash, sliced in ¼ or ½, seeds removed
- 4-6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2-3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons apricot jam (orange marmalade will work too)
- ½ cup sweetened, shredded coconut (unsweetened is fine but increase brown sugar/jam to taste)
- ½ cup pecans, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
WHAT TO DO
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Place acorn squash in baking dish. Mix remaining ingredients in a small bowl and spoon mixture evenly into acorn squash. Add a few cups of water to the base of the baking dish, cover with foil and back for 1 hour. Check for doneness by inserting a fork or knife. If done/nearly done, remove foil and bake remaining 15 minutes or until soft. Enjoy.
Share this recipe with your friends and family and bring the war flavors of autumn into your home. If you’re ready to really dive into the season, learn a bit about Harvest in Napa and Sonoma and see how different Healdsburg wineries, Alexander Valley wineries and Russian River wineries are celebrating the season.
Harvest breathes new life into wine country as the Valleys awaken with festivals, parties, celebratory dinners, and more! Check out some harvest events held by Healdsburg wineries, Alexander Valley wineries, and Russian River wineries:
- Jordan Winery Harvest Lunches for members throughout the weekdays of September and October
- Alexander Valley Vineyards Harvest Party – wine, food, live music, the works!
- Dry Creek Vineyard Harvest Dinner and Harvest Party, the ultimate food and wine pairing
- MacRostie Harvest Wine Club Party, a two day event with newly released Chardonnay and Pinot Noir plus some awesome paella!
These are just a few of the many events happening throughout North Sonoma. Make sure to reserve tickets ahead of time and bring a friend or two for a truly authentic wine country experience. There’s something charming and truly special about Healdsburg wineries, Russian River wineries, and Alexander Valley wineries. See why when you book a North Sonoma Join-In Tour or a private tour through the region.
Snap a pic of your acorn squash dish and let us know what you think on Facebook, twitter, and Instagram!