During some of our award-winning Wine Country tours, guests who opt for the Platypus Wine Tours’ lunch option can enjoy a delicious, Southern-inspired side offering. This now-famous dish, Kathy’s Kitchen’s Bama Macaroni Salad, is a creation that evokes a cavalcade of compliments and recipe requests each time it is presented
So, to satisfy everyone’s curiosity and enhance your summer BBQ season, Platypus presents our recipe for this tasty dish to pair with any of your favorite Napa or Sonoma Valley wines.
Bama Macaroni Salad by Platypus Wine Tours
Gather these Ingredients
- One pound of macaroni salad pasta
- One red bell pepper
- Two ribs of celery
- One-half small onion
- One small can of black olives
- Four or five whole sweet pickles (reserve 1/4 cup pickle juice for later use)
- Three boiled eggs
- Three-quarter cup of Mayonnaise (preferably “Bama” if you can find it)
- White pepper
- One Tablespoon of Celery Seed
- Boil pasta in heavily salted water until Al Dente, about 8 minutes. Feel free to throw in the eggs with the pasta to save some time and dishwashing.
- Drain the pasta and separate the eggs for cooling.
- While the pasta and eggs are cooling, finely chop the red pepper, celery, onion, black olives, and sweet pickles.
- Once the pasta and eggs have cooled, peel and chop the eggs and dump them into the dish you will use to chill and serve in. Put enough white pepper on the pasta to make the top “dusty,” and then add the celery seed.
- Take the mayo, add the juice from the sweet pickle, and mix until it is like a smooth sauce.
- Add all the chopped vegetables, mix with the pasta and egg, and add the mayo sauce.
Chef’s Note: If it’s not “wet” enough, feel free to add more mayo or pickle juice.
More to Come from Platypus Wine Tours
Look for more Wine Country Recipes from Kathy’s Kitchen at Platypus Wine Tours!
If you would like to try this and other tasty lunches by our resident chef, reserve your place for your safe and enjoyable Platypus Wine Country Tour to some top-notch Sonoma and Napa Valley wineries.
Learn more about the Tours we offer by visiting the Platypus Wine Tours website.
You’ll find Contact Information and FAQs and can engage in an Online Chat while learning the details of our Private Tour Packages, Corporate Outings, and more.
Relax and enjoy the safety and fun of your personalized Wine Country Tour with Platypus Wine Tours. And, if your select the lunch option, our food offerings will undoubtedly please you and your guests!