Platypus Wine Tours in Napa always focuses on the safety, comfort, and enjoyment of its guests. Preparing and guiding well-designed tours of boutique wineries throughout Napa Valley and Sonoma County, the staff at Platypus strives to ensure all customer’s expectations are met.
Once again, Platypus Wine Tours offers another recipe, Butternut Squash Soup, which will surely delight you.
Recipe for Butternut Squash Soup
- Medium-sized Butternut Squash (about 2-3 lbs.)
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 2 Cloves of Garlic, minced
- 2 Carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 Apples, peeled, cored, and chopped (use a sweet variety)
- 4 Cups of Vegetable or Chicken Broth
- ½ Teaspoon of Ground Cinnamon
- ¼ Teaspoon of Ground Nutmeg
- ¼ Teaspoon of ground Ginger
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- 2 Tablespoons of Olive Oil or Butter
- Optional Garnishes: A dollop of Sour Cream, a sprinkle of Chopped Fresh Herbs (parsley or chives), or roasted pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- Prepare the Butternut Squash. Cut the butternut squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. Save the seeds for roasting if you like.
- Peel the squash and cut it into chunks.
- Heat the olive oil or butter over medium heat in a large pot or Dutch Oven.
- Add the chopped onion, minced garlic, and carrots, and sauté for about 5 minutes or until the vegetables begin to soften.
- Add the Butternut Squash and Apples to the pot, stir, and cook for about 5 minutes, allowing the flavors to meld.
- Season the mixture with Ground Cinnamon, Ground Nutmeg, Ground Ginger, Salt, and Pepper. Stir well to coat the vegetables evenly with the spices.
- Pour on the vegetable or chicken broth.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat to Low, cover the pot, and simmer for about 20-25 minutes, or until the Squash and Apples are tender and easily pierced by a fork.
- Use an immersion blender directly to the pot to puree the soup until smooth. (Alternatively, you can transfer the mixture to a blender and blend in batches.) Always be cautious when blending hot liquids.
- If the soup is too thick, you may add a bit more broth or water. Return the soup to the stove to heat it through.
- Taste and adjust seasoning, adding more salt, pepper, or spices as needed.
Serving the Soup: Ladle the hot Butternut Squash Soup into bowls and garnish with your choice of toppings, like sour cream, chopped fresh herbs, or roasted pumpkin seeds.
Enjoy the flavors your work has created. Butternut Squash Soup is a comforting and nutritious meal to serve during the cooler months!
Enjoy a Platypus Wine Tour
For any future Napa Valley visit, the trip is complete when you add a wine tour with Platypus Wine Tours. The occasion allows you to sit back, relax, and enjoy the beautiful sights of the Valley, learn about the processes and techniques at boutique wineries, and taste the glories of their production.
To arrange your tour or to join an existing one, check out the Platypus Wine Tours website. Besides planning your Tour, you can also purchase Gift Certificates to give to someone to use at any time in the future.
If you have questions about your Tour or anything else, phone Platypus Wine Tours at 1-707-253-2723.