The wonderfully comforting chili recipe will warm the soul on these cold winter nights (or days for that matter as chili makes great leftovers). Pair it with your favorite wine from any Sonoma wineries, Russian River wineries, Healdsburg wineries, or Napa wineries.
TOTAL TIME: 60 min (PREP: 15 min + COOK: 45 min)
GATHER THESE INGREDIENTS
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 bell pepper (any color), chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2-3 tablespoons chili powder (start with 2 tbls and taste; add to taste throughout cooking)
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt (add more to taste right before serving)
- ¼ black pepper
- 2 (15-ounce) cans pinto beans, including juices
- 1 (15-ounce) diced tomatoes, including juices
- 1 lbs lean ground beef or turkey
- Optional garnishes: chopped green onions, sour cream, shredded cheese
WHAT TO DO
- Brown ground beef or turkey in a large, heavy bottom pot. If using beef, drain off excess fat.
- Over medium heat, add olive oil (optional for beef and suggested for turkey meat).
- Add bell pepper, onion, celery and garlic. Cook 5-8 minutes until veggies are sweat down and start to become translucent.
- Add chili powder, oregano, cumin, salt and pepper to veggie and meat mixture. Heat 1-2 minutes to bring out the aromas of the spices. Add additional chili powder and salt to taste.
- Add pinto beans and diced tomatoes; cover pot. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Do a final taste adding any additional chili powder and/or salt.
- Serve into individual bowls. Try some garnishes like chopped green onions, sour cream, shredded cheese.
We love cozying up with this chili and a glass of wine from any Sonoma wineries, Napa wineries, Russian River wineries, and Healdsburg wineries. This month, the pace in wine country is relaxed as mustard plants start to bloom, the new year starts to kick in, and locals continue to plan exciting events for the coming months. Start planning out your year and create your ideal wine country trip. At Platypus wine Tours we offer Private Tours for a completely customized experience through wineries, breweries, restaurants, museums, galleries, and more. You choose the itinerary – or have us create your perfect day. For those looking to hop on a bus with other wine-adventurers, our Join-In Tours are the way to go. Simply pay for your seat and let our guide take you to 4 wineries, including a picnic lunch. You’ll explore Napa wineries, Sonoma wineries, Russian River wineries, and Healdsburg wineries. Choose your adventure today and book your wine tour!