Looking for a brightly flavored dish for those hot summer days? Try our Mediterranean-Inspired Chicken and Kale, which incorporates the fresh flavors of the region. In Napa and Sonoma, we experience a similar climate to the Mediterranean, making its cuisine very popular here.
TOTAL TIME: 30 min
GATHER THESE INGREDIENTS
- 4 chicken breasts
- 8 cups of kale or other leafy green (sounds like a lot but volume shrinks with cooking); chopped
- 1 large shallot (sliced)
- ¾ cup Castelvetrano olives (pitted & sliced)
- ¼ cup capers
- 1 lemon (zest & juice)
- ½ cup almonds (optional; roughly chopped)
- ¼ water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ parsley; divided
- ¼ dried blueberries (optional)
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
WHAT TO DO
- Clean and pat dry chicken breasts. Sprinkle both sides with salt and pepper.
- In a large, lidded fry pan, heat to medium. Add olive oil; heat until shimmering but not smoking. Add chicken and cover reducing heat to low. Turn every 3-5 minutes until golden brown and cooked through. About 15 minutes total depending on heat and thickness of breast. Meat should no longer be pink inside.
- Remove chicken to rest on individual serving plates.
- In the same pan used for the chicken, leaving any remaining juices, add shallot, olives and capers. Add a little olive oil if pan is dry. Cook over low-medium heat 3 minutes until shallot softens.
- Add lemon zest, lemon juice, almonds, water & butter. Heat ½ minute.
- Add kale & half of parsley; stir and cover. Cook until greens are wilted and mixed well with other ingredients. 3-min. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve kale mixture alongside rested chicken breasts.
- Sprinkle with remaining parsley and dried blueberries if using.
Impress family and friends with this recipe and let us know what you think. Pair it with your favorite wine from any Napa wineries or Sonoma wineries and enjoy!