Looking for a brightly flavored dish for those hot summer days? Try our Mediterranean-Inspired Chicken and Kale, which incorporates the fresh flavors of the region. In Napa and Sonoma, we experience a similar climate to the Mediterranean, making its cuisine very popular here.
TOTAL TIME: 30 min
GATHER THESE INGREDIENTS
- 4 chicken breasts
- 8 cups of kale or other leafy green (sounds like a lot but volume shrinks with cooking); chopped
- 1 large shallot (sliced)
- ¾ cup Castelvetrano olives (pitted & sliced)
- ¼ cup capers
- 1 lemon (zest & juice)
- ½ cup almonds (optional; roughly chopped)
- ¼ water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ parsley; divided
- ¼ dried blueberries (optional)
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
WHAT TO DO
- Clean and pat dry chicken breasts. Sprinkle both sides with salt and pepper.
- In a large, lidded fry pan, heat to medium. Add olive oil; heat until shimmering but not smoking. Add chicken and cover reducing heat to low. Turn every 3-5 minutes until golden brown and cooked through. About 15 minutes total depending on heat and thickness of breast. Meat should no longer be pink inside.
- Remove chicken to rest on individual serving plates.
- In the same pan used for the chicken, leaving any remaining juices, add shallot, olives and capers. Add a little olive oil if pan is dry. Cook over low-medium heat 3 minutes until shallot softens.
- Add lemon zest, lemon juice, almonds, water & butter. Heat ½ minute.
- Add kale & half of parsley; stir and cover. Cook until greens are wilted and mixed well with other ingredients. 3-min. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve kale mixture alongside rested chicken breasts.
- Sprinkle with remaining parsley and dried blueberries if using.