The culinary staff at Platypus Wine Tours of Napa is always looking for and testing new recipes to share with their California wine tour guests.
During a typical Platypus Wine Tour, guests are treated to a high level of comfort in the tour vehicles, enjoy a carefully curated tour agenda to fascinating boutique wineries, and are presented with world-class wines to taste and compare.
So, naturally, the food that Platypus prepares should be extra delicious, eye-appealing, and unique.
As a result, their guests often ask the Platypus culinary crew if they might share some of their delightful recipes. The answer is “Yes!”
Here you will find the often-requested Platypus recipe for their popular French Onion Soup:
Platypus Wine Tours presents:
French Onion Soup
- 4 lbs. Onions (halved and sliced). You may use any variety.
- 4 cloves of garlic (crushed)
- 2 tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 3 tsp salt
- 3 tsp pepper
- 8 cups of water
- Gruyere cheese (shredded)
Process: Onion Base
- First, melt the butter in a large pan.
- While the melted butter is hot, add the garlic, onion, and bay leaves.
- Stir briefly, then cover and let cook for 10 minutes on low heat.
- Cook for an hour more; stir every 20 minutes while the onions turn dark brown.
- Keep in mind that “low and slow” is the key for this part. As needed, feel free to add a splash of water to lift the color and flavor from the bottom of the pan.
- Continue until the onions are very dark and translucent.
The Finish: The Soup
Once the onions have reached their dark, translucent appearance:
- Add the water, salt, and pepper to the cooked onion mixture.
- Cook for about an hour on medium heat.
- Allow the soup to simmer for 20 more minutes.
- Remove the Bay Leaves and Prepare to Serve.
Serve It Up: Add the shredded Gruyere cheese and croutons, then serve!
Besides making your home smell incredible as guests arrive, this dish is inexpensive and relatively simple to prepare. The rich flavor combinations in the soup are delightful, the perfect prelude to a meal, or delicious by itself.
Join a Platypus Wine Tour
Any escape to Napa Valley should include a well-planned, safe, and fun wine tour by Platypus Wine Tours of Napa. You can relax and enjoy the scenery from a well-equipped van as you travel comfortably from one distinctive Napa or Sonoma Valley winery to the next.
Enjoy the knowledgeable commentary presented by the Platypus Tour host and learn a bit about the arts and science of vineyard management and winemaking. You will also hear some interesting facts and humorous insights about the early years of California Wine Country development.
One of the all-time favorite California wine tours, Platypus Wine Tours can customize a private tour for your special group, or individuals can choose to participate in a join-in tour.
The safest and most educational way to tour and taste the world’s best wines, Platypus Wine Tours are available throughout the year.
Learn more about the Platypus Wine Tours experience by visiting their website, where you can make online reservations.
Or phone Platypus Wine Tours at (707-253-2723) to discuss your ideas and to make special arrangements for an upcoming tour.