Top Sonoma Valley Wineries
With well over 400 hundred wineries located in the North Bay, and 40 in the Sonoma Valley, we hand-pick some of the best for our wine tours to avoid the crowds and find the more intimate side, and the real charm, of our beautiful wine country. We focus on smaller, family-owned wineries and wineries of historical significance while trying to avoid larger, more heavily visited wineries in order to provide a truly memorable experience. We're thrilled that Trip Advisor consistently ranks our Napa Wine Tours and Sonoma Wine Tours as top-rated activities in the region.
Make a Platypus Wine Tour reservation online now or call (707) 253-2723.
Listed below are some of our top Sonoma Valley Wineries:
Arrowood Vineyards & Winery
Arrowood Vineyards produces award-winning Sonoma County Wine, including Chardonnay, Cabernet Sauvignon and Syrah.
(707) 935-2600; 14347 Sonoma Highway, Glen Ellen
Audelssa Estate Winery
Audelssa Estate wines are made employing minimalist winemaking techniques, allowing the vineyard to be expressed in the wine.
(707) 933-8514; 13647 Arnold Drive, Glen Ellen
Award winning wines and olive oil production.
(707) 931-7924; 15000 Sonoma Highway, Glen Ellen
Bartholomew Park Winery
Nestled on a historic, organically-farmed estate just a few blocks east of Sonoma's plaza.
(707) 935-9511; 1000 Vineyard Lane, Sonoma
Benziger Family Winery
Sonoma cabernet sauvignon, merlot, and chardonnay wines with a strong sense of place.
(707) 935-3000; 1883 London Ranch Road, Glen Ellen
Producing fine wines from the Napa and Sonoma regions.
(707) 833-1999; 8450 Sonoma Highway, Kenwood
Buena Vista Winery
Founded in 1857, Buena Vista is California's oldest premium winery.
(707) 938-1266 or 800-678-8504;18000 Old Winery Road, Sonoma
Chateau St. Jean
Founded in 1973, Chateau St. Jean's heritage is rooted in Sonoma County vineyards.
(707) 833-4134; 8555 Sonoma Hwy., Kenwood
Located on a 350-acre estate in the Carneros District, and best known for Zinfandel.
(707) 940-4000; 24737 Arnold Drive, Sonoma
Eric Ross Winery
Award-winning, historic winery located in the heart of Sonoma Valley.
(707) 939-8525; 14300 Arnold Drive Glen Ellen
Gloria Ferrer Caves and Vineyards
Located in the beautiful Carneros wine district of Sonoma, and producing both fine California sparkling and still wines.
(707) 996-7256; 23555 Highway 121 (Arnold Dr), Sonoma
Gundlach Bundschu Winery
Founded in 1858, this historic winery celebrated 150 years of wine production in 2008.
(707) 939-3015; 2000 Denmark Street, Sonoma
Homewoood Winery is as close to a one-man winery as its founder can keep it.
(707) 996-6353; 23120 Burndale Rd., Sonoma
Imagery Estate Winery
The culmination of a 20-year commitment to eclectic wines.
(707) 935-4515; 14335 Hwy 12, Glen Ellen
Kaz Vineyard & Winery
Nestled in the Valley of the Moon, Kaz Vineyard is the smallest winery in the county that sells to the public and proud of it.
877 833-2536; 233 Adobe Canyon Road, Kenwood
Founded in 1970, Kenwood has established itself as a producer of premium quality California wines.
(707) 833-5891; 9592 Sonoma Highway, Kenwood 95452
Kunde Estate Winery
Family owned and operated for five generations, Kunde Estate Winery and Vineyards produces estate-grown wines that are sustainably farmed.
(707) 833-5501; 9825 Sonoma Highway, Kenwood 95452
One of the stars in the "super premium" Chardonnay business.
(707) 833-0218; 101 Adobe Canyon Road,?Kenwood
Larson Family Winery
The land on which the winery sits has been in the Larson family since the late 1800s.
(707) 938-3031; 23355 Millerick Road, Sonoma
Ledson Winery & Vineyards
This historic winery was originally settled by the Ledson family in 1862.
(707) 537-3810, 800-539-2331; 7335 Sonoma Highway, Kenwood
Australian Chris Loxton handcrafts Syrah and Zinfandel at this new micro-winery.
(707) 935-7221; 11466 Dunbar Road, Glen Ellen
Mayo Family Winery
Mayo Family Winery is a producer of fine vineyard designated wines in Glen Ellen.
(707) 938-9401; 13101 Arnold Drive, Glen Ellen
Moon Mountain Vineyards
Moon Mountain Vineyards produces a range of reds and whites in the Mayacamas Mountains.
(707) 996-5870; 1700 Moon Mountain Drive, Sonoma
Nelson Estate Tasting Room
Making small batches of estate wine
(707) 833-5504; 9200 Sonoma Highway, Kenwood
Panoramic views and cave tours.
(707) 938-8822; 4200 Napa Road, Sonoma
No Wimpy Wines!
(707) 938-1960, 888-669-4679; 18701 Gehricke Road, Sonoma
Robert Hunter Winery
Robert Hunter Winery is a boutique winery located in the Sonoma Valley.
(707) 996-3056, 15655 Arnold Dr., Sonoma
Robledo Family Winery
Family owned and operated since 1996.
(707) 939-6903; 21901 Bonness Road, Sonoma
Roche Carneros Estate Winery
Making only a very limited amount of premium wine and selling direct to the consumer.
(707) 935-7115; 28700 Arnold Drive,Sonoma
Fighting for fun in a winey world!
(707) 431-2051, 23570 Highway 121,Sonoma
Schug Carneros Estate Winery
Founded in 1980, Schug Carneros Estate Winery is the showcase and life-long dream of one of California's most celebrated winemakers.
(707) 939-9363; 602 Bonneau Road, Sonoma
Oldest continuously family owned winery in Sonoma.
(707) 933-3230; 389 East Fourth Street, Sonoma
Smothers Remick Ridge Tasting Room
The Smothers Remick Ridge Vineyards are the best-kept secret in Sonoma Valley.
(707) 833-6131; 9575 Sonoma Highway, Kenwood
St. Francis Winery
Originally planted in 1910, and now producing two estate wines.
(707) 833-0242; 100 Pythian Road,?Kenwood
Tin Barn Vineyards
Producers of fine Syrah and Cabernet Sauvignon.
(707) 938-5430; 21692 Eighth Street East, Unit 340, Sonoma
VJB Vineyards & Cellars
VJB wines express the unique qualities of our land - a beautiful blend of soil, exposure, weather and family tradition.
(707) 833-2300; 9077 Sonoma Highway, Kenwood
Viansa Winery & Italian Marketplace
Overlooking the Sonoma valley, Viansa Winery & Marketplace is a popular and picturesque wine country destination.
(707) 935-4700; 25200 Arnold Drive, Sonoma
Wellington Vineyards has been owned by a father and son team since 1986.
(707) 939-0708; 11600 Dunbar Road, Glen Ellen
Additionally, please review our favorite Napa Valley Wineries, St. Helena and Calistoga Wineries and North Sonoma County Wineries. For additional tour and tasting information please see our Sonoma Wine Tours and Sonoma Wine Tasting pages.