The culinary team at Platypus Wine Tours takes pride in the food quality and tastes we provide for tours of Napa and Sonoma wine country and other special events. Feedback regarding the foods we serve has been universally positive, and, in many instances, guests have been so impressed that they ask the Team to share some of our recipes.
One recipe that Platypus Wine Tour guests frequently request during their wine country tours is for our unique version of an all-time favorite, Potatoes Au Gratin. So, to accommodate those inquiries, here is our recipe:
Potatoes Au Gratin by Platypus Wine Tours
- 2 lbs. potatoes (peeled and thinly sliced)
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 tbsp crushed garlic
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1/2 cup panko/bread crumbs
- 1 cup parmesan cheese (shredded)
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Set aside the panko/breadcrumbs and parmesan.
- Mix the other ingredients and potatoes together, then place in a casserole dish (make sure the potatoes are covered completely)
- Add more cream if necessary.
- Bake for 15 minutes, covered with foil.
- Remove from the oven and uncover.
- Sprinkle half of the parmesan cheese over the top; do the same with the panko, and then sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top.
- Bake for 30-35 more minutes.
- Check for tenderness with a toothpick.
- When done, allow to cool for 8 minutes
Another option is an exceptional Potatoes Dauphinoise. To prepare this typically creamier dish, add an extra one-half cup of heavy cream to the above recipe and add a dash of ground sage.
For the Best Wine Country Tours, Contact Platypus Wine Tours
Platypus Wine Tours is the premier California wine tours company, offering a variety of fun-filled and safe California wine tours of Napa Valley and Sonoma County.
Visit the Platypus Wine Tours website for insight into their informal, insightful, and safe wine country tours. The well-organized Platypus outings include visits to select boutique wineries, wine tastings, and ongoing insight and commentary about the history, art, and science of viticulture and winemaking in the region.
Platypus wine country tours offer the safest and most comprehensive way to enjoy the incredible scenery and some unique wine estates and personalities along the way.
Reserve your place for a join-in or customized private California wine tours outing with Platypus by visiting the Platypus Wine Country Tours website.
Or you may phone Platypus Wine Tours with any questions or to discuss special requests at (707)-253-2723.