As a winery tour company, we are always seeking ways to delight and entertain guests and friends. That’s why we love featuring delicious recipes and wine pairings that will help you bring a piece of wine country home.
This delicious offering, now part of the Platypus Wine Tours’ Hall of Fame of excellent recipes, is the Rich Mushroom Soup, adapted from Karen MacNeil’s 2006 Wine, Food, and Friends Cookbook.
Recipe: RICH MUSHROOM SOUP (8 – one-cup servings)
Wine Pairing: Creamy mushroom soups are best served with light white wines like Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Grigio, Chardonnay, or Semillon.
- 2 T all-purpose flour
- 1 C boiling water
- 1 C dried porcini mushrooms (about 1 ounce)
- 2 t butter
- 1 1/2 C chopped onion
- 2 t chopped garlic
- 2 t finely chopped fresh thyme
- 1/4 t salt
- 1/4 t freshly ground black pepper
- 6 1/2 cups thinly sliced shiitake mushroom caps (about 1 pound)
- 2 (8 oz) packages of sliced button mushrooms
- 4 C fat-free, less sodium chicken broth
- 1 C 1% low-fat milk
- 1/2 C half and half
- 1/4 C dry Amontillado Sherry
- Place flour in a small skillet over medium-high heat; cook for 2 minutes or until flour turns light brown, stirring constantly—transfer flour to a small plate; cool.
- Combine boiling water and porcini mushrooms in a bowl; cover and let steep for 20 minutes. Strain porcini mushrooms through a sieve over a bowl, reserving soaking liquid. Chop mushrooms.
- Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté for 5 minutes or until tender. Add garlic, thyme, salt and pepper; sauté for 30 seconds. Add shiitake mushrooms; cook for 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Add button mushrooms; cook for 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Add chopped porcini mushrooms and broth to the pan.
- Combine reserved porcini soaking liquid and toasted flour, stirring with a whisk, and add to the pan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes. Add milk; simmer for 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; stir in half and half and Sherry. Place 2 cups of soup in a blender; process until smooth—return pureed soup to pan. Warm the soup over low heat for 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Yield: 8 servings (serving size 1 cup).
About Platypus Wine Tours
Knowledgeable visitors to Napa Valley and Sonoma County wine country California have learned that the best, safest, and most enjoyable way to tour wineries, taste the wines, and enjoy the scenery is with an expert tour company like Platypus Wine Tours.
Professional drivers transport guests to pre-selected wineries and vineyards in modern, spacious vehicles. And a friendly and informative Tour Guide conducts each tour, answering questions and providing unique insights along the way.
Platypus Wine Tours offers both join-in and customized Wine Country California Tours for couples or groups.
To heighten your enjoyment and expand your wine education safely, reserve your seat on a Platypus Tour today. To learn more about what Platypus Wine Tours offers, explore our website or call +1-707-253-2723.