This slaw is not your average slaw. It is packed with hearty ingredients which can act as a side or even make a great lunch. Our Slaw Done Different is great for summer but will move right into fall by featuring good ‘ole brussels sprouts. Pair it with your favorite Sauvignon Blanc from any Sonoma wineries or Napa wineries and enjoy!
TOTAL TIME: 20 min
GATHER THESE INGREDIENTS
- 1 small head of broccoli, chopped
- ½ lbs. brussels sprouts, stalk trimmed, outer leaves removed, head sliced thin lengthwise
- 2 anchovy fillets (optional)
- ½ cup Castelvertrano olives, pitted and sliced
- ¼ cup raw almond, coarsely chopped
- 1 lemon (zest & juice)
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- ¼ olive oil
- Salt, kosher & pepper to taste
- Optional addition: diced ham, bacon or pancetta bits
WHAT TO DO
- Trim broccoli stalk, leaving a hearty amount. Chop head and stalk into half inch chunks (alternately do a quick pulse with a food processor).
- Mix broccoli chunks and sliced brussels sprouts in a large bowl and sprinkle with kosher ½ tsp. salt. Let rest for 10 minutes while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Chop the anchovies, if using, then smash with back of spoon.
- In a small bowl, add anchovies, if using, grated Parmesan, olive oil, lemon zest and lemon juice; season to taste with salt and pepper (be mindful of salt already added to broccoli/brussels spouts mixture).
- Drizzle dressing mixture over slaw, add almonds and olives; toss to mix.
- Top with additional Parmesan and if making the slaw a meal, some protein like diced ham, bacon or pancetta bits.
Tip: If making ahead (1 day), add toppings (almonds, parmesan, and protein if using) right before serving.