We’ve dived deep into November and Thanksgiving is right around the corner. Families and friends come together to share what they are thankful for and to feast on the long-awaited Thanksgiving meal.
When the holidays come, we tend to focus on the big holiday dinners. This year make breakfast special too with this decedent yet brightly yummy crepe. Not a morning person? Why not make these for dessert? Both options work and bring something special to the table to make the holiday sweet and fun.
The light and fresh taste of this dish will create feelings of a sunny California day, strolling through wineries in Napa and wineries in Sonoma. There’s no better way to ring in the holidays than with a tasty breakfast or dessert – now let’s get cooking!
TOTAL TIME: 45 min (PREP: 20 min + COOK: 25 min)
CREPES – GATHER THESE INGREDIENTS
- 3 cups sliced strawberries (about 1.5 pints)
- ½ cup sugar + 1 tablespoon (divided)
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 eggs
LIME CREAM FILLING – GATHER THESE INGREDIENTS
- 2/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon lime zest
WHAT TO DO
- Toss strawberries with ½ cup sugar and set aside. In a medium bowl, mix flour, 1 tablespoon sugar, baking powder and salt. Stir in milk, butter, lime zest, lime juice and eggs. Beat together with a whisk or hand beater until smooth.
- Lightly grease 6-8 inch skillet with butter and heat over medium until butter bubbles (take care not to overheat and burn butter). Pour ¼ cup crepe batter into skillet and rotate to create a thin layer of batter covering the entire bottom of skillet. Cook until lightly golden brown. Using a wide spatula, turn and cook the other side. Crepes can be stacked on waxed or parchment paper; cool.
- Make Lime Cream Filling: Beat heavy whipping cream in a small, chilled bowl with an electric mixer on high speed until stiff peaks form; set aside.
- Beat cream cheese in medium bowl on high speed until fluffy; gradually add sugar and lime zest. Gently fold in whipped cream.
- Assemble crepes. Spoon about 2 tablespoons of cream filling down center of crepe; fold sides over filling. Top with strawberries and any remaining lime zest.
With a recipe like this, your day is bound to start on a positive note! Thanksgiving is a beloved holiday in wine country as we think about all that we are grateful for: the beautiful landscapes of mountains and rolling vineyards, the many charming wineries in Napa and wineries in Sonoma that give us delicate and unique wines, and our staff and guides who work tirelessly each day to create a beautiful experience for visitors from all over the world.
And finally, we want to of course thank our incredible guests who remind us why we do what we do. Every tour through wineries in Napa and wineries in Sonoma is a new adventure and we’re so glad that you trust us to embark on the journey together.
From everyone at Platypus Wine Tours, have a Happy Thanksgiving!
Need a little holiday help?
Thanksgiving means gift giving season has begun. At Platypus Tours, we want to help! Consider a gift certificate for a wine tour through wineries in Napa and wineries in Sonoma. Buy it online or call us at 707-253-2723.